Sunday, July 22, 2018

Instant Pot Recipe: Vegetable Pulao

Full disclosure: I am not getting paid to endorse any product, nor will I endorse a product for money

I got my Instant Pot a couple of years ago through a deal on Amazon Prime Day. I was very skeptical about this new “fad” and wasn’t sure if adding another gadget to my kitchen was really going to make life easier. After using it for a while now, I am definitely sold. And not only am I sold, I have also been touting its benefits to my friends.



I met one of these friends recently and he did not hesitate to point out that I have not posted any recipes using the Instant Pot.
So, here is my first Instant Pot recipe. You can adapt this to a pressure cooker or rice cooker easily.




We had a few friends over for dinner a couple of weeks ago. It was a chaat party - sooji dhokla, cocktail idlis, dahi balla, jaal muri, ragada patties, and vegetable pulao. I added the vegetable pulao, because I felt that just serving snacks may not be enough (I can see my husband rolling his eyes at me)

Anyway, since I did not want to make anything else to go with the pulao, it needed to be a standalone dish. I have made variations of this pulao on several occasions and it has never failed me.

This is a great dish to make for parties or for a quick weeknight one-pot dinner for your family.


Instant Pot Recipe: Vegetable Pulao

Prep. time: 10 minutes (not including soaking time for rice)

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Serves: about 4 - 6 as a meal, about 10 - 12 as part of a bigger spread


Here’s what you need:

  • 2 cups basmati rice, soaked in water for about ½ hour
  • 2 green chilies, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • ½” piece ginger
  • 3 tsp. ghee
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 2 - 3 star anise
  • 1” piece cinnamon
  • 1 - 2 bay leaves
  • 5 - 6 cloves
  • 2 green cardamom pods
  • 1 tsp. black pepper, crushed
  • ½ large onion, diced
  • 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into tiny cubes
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • a handful of frozen green peas
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tsp. cumin/coriander powder
  • ½ tsp. chili powder
  • ½ cup yogurt
  • 3 ½ cups water
  • a handful of chopped cilantro

Here’s how I made it:


  1. Using a mortar and pestle, and crush the green chilies, garlic, and ginger to a coarse paste. Set aside
  2. Turn on the instant pot to sauté mode. Add ghee.
  3. When the ghee gets hot, add the whole spices. After about 30 - 40 seconds, add onions. Sauté for a few minutes till the onions turn translucent
  4. Add the diced veggies, peas, salt, and chili powder. Mix well
  5. Add yogurt. Mix well and cook for a minute.
  6. Drain the rice and add to this mixture. Add water. 
  7. Check the salt - it should taste a bit salty.
  8. Turn off instant pot and turn it back on in rice mode. Mine turns on for 12 minutes
  9. Cover and let it cook.
  10. Unplug the instant pot when the cooking time is done and let the pressure release on its own.
  11. Fluff with a fork.

Serve with papads and raitha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...