Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Dosai Milagai Podi / Chutney Podi / Idli podi

Idlis with milagai podi (also called Gun Powder) is a divine combination. I prefer this to the more well known pairing of idli with sambar. When I make idlis at home, I make sambar for everyone else, but I eat mine with milagai podi. I especially love it when the idlis have been soaking up the flavors of the podi for a while (mix the powder with some sesame oil and coat the idlis with this. Let them sit for a bit and then eat them - you, my friend, have now experienced bliss 😁)



 


For the longest time, my mom used to make milagai podi for me. It is the one thing I absolutely will bring back every time I go to Chennai. If she is visiting us, she will make a big batch of it for me before she leaves. Over the years, she has somehow found a way to keep me well stocked. I never learned how to make it, because there really was no need. But sometime a couple of years ago, I ran out. I tried several store bought versions, but nothing ever came close to the taste of her podi.





I finally caved, and asked her for her recipe. My mom is not very good at sharing recipes. She hardly measures anything, and cooks by instinct. So, after several failed attempts, and several phone calls, I have a version that comes close to hers.


Dosai Milagai Podi / Chutney Podi / Idli podi Recipe


Prep. time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Yield: about 3 cups


Here’s what you need:


  • 1 tsp. oil
  • 1 cup split urad dal with skin (you can use the one without skin too)
  • 1 cup channa dal
  • ¼ cup white sesame seeds 
  • 45 - 50 red chilies (my red chilies were not too hot)
  • 10 - 15 curry leaves (optional)
  • ½ tsp. hing (asafoetida)
  • salt to taste


Here’s how I made it:


  1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet or kadai.
  2. Add the urad dal and roast it on medium flame till the dal turns golden brown. Remove and set aside.
  3. Add the channa dal to the same pan. Repeat the process and remove when the dal is rasted fine
  4. Repeat with the sesame seeds (these will change color quickly) and then the red chilies.
  5. Finally dry roast the curry leaves till they lose their moisture.
  6. Add hing and salt.
  7. Let this whole thing cool completely.
  8. Grind to a coarse powder in a blender.
  9. Store in an airtight container.



Note: My podi is darker becasue I used urad dal with skin. My mom makes it with de-husked urad dal.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Meena - I used to have my Patti make her homemade podi and now my Mami makes patti’s Podi for me :) So I too never got around to doing it myself. Will try this :) But the chillies sound a lot in number - we don’t like spice - so how much would you recommend for us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Latha - the red chilies I have were not spicy (also this is a lot of podi) If the ones you have are spicy, I would start with 1/2 the amount. You can always dry roast some more and powder those and add to your podi, if you need more heat.

      Delete
  2. it is a delicious food fantastic it was amazing post thanks for sharing this blog ....if u want to know about blog happy birthday wishes blog....happy birthday wishes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...