Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sooji Kuzhi Paniyaram


We had an impromptu get together at my friends’ house couple of weeks ago.  With the unusually incessant rain and gloomy weather, we were all getting cabin fever and were ready to venture out for a bit. 

I hadn’t been grocery shopping in a while and did not have much to work with, for the potluck that night.  I did have a package of rava idli mix.  So decided to make kuzhi paniyaram with it.  I also had some mango kulfi that I was going to take for dessert.



For an impromptu gathering, we had a good crowd. Lots of kids and adults and as always, plenty of food.  I mixed up the batter and took my appe / appam pans (also called aebleskiver pans).  I have two now – a cast iron one I got on Amazon, and a non stick one my mom gave me on my trip to India this time.

So we heated up the pans and started making these.  I couldn’t make them fast enough!  Both kids and adults alike loved them!  It was such a simple thing to make and as far as appetizers go, kind of healthy (read non-fried), that my friends were thinking of buying this pan from Costco!



Since I could not take pictures at the party, I made a few more at home so that I could share some images with you.

Note:  If you have people who don't eat onions, you can substitute grated carrots instead.

Here is what you need:

(makes about 30 - 40)
  • I package MTR Rava Idli Mix (you can make your own too – I will post a recipe soon).
  • enough yogurt to make the batter (I used about 36 oz.)
  • 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
  • 3 – 4 green chilies, chopped
  • 2” piece ginger, minced
  • generous amount of cilantro, chopped
  • few curry leaves
  • oil or non stick spray

Here is how I made it:


  1. Mix the rava idli mix and the yogurt well. Set aside for 10 minutes
  2. Now check the batter.  If the batter looks too dry and thick, add a little bit of water.  The batter should be thick (like cake batter)
  3. Add the chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, cilantro, and ginger.  Mix well
  4. Heat the appe / appam pan.
  5. Add a few drops of oil in each depression (kuzhi)
  6. When the pan is hot, add a tablespoonful of batter into each depression. The batter should fill about ¾ of the way.
  7. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
  8. With a butter knife or skewer, flip the balls over.
  9. Cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, till both sides are crispy.
  10. Remove the paniyarams from the pan.
  11. Repeat until all the batter is done.


Serve hot with spicy chutney.


3 comments:

  1. Replies

    1. It is a sure hit. A no-fail recipe. Let me know how it comes out.

      Delete
  2. Lovely. I love the decoration style. Read More Article about Panettone cake

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...