Monday, October 14, 2013

No-hassle Ras Malai


I am not a “sweet” person.  You can take that statement any way you want to.  I just don’t like sweets that much.  I can go for months without having sweets and not miss it one bit! 


Ras Malai

Most people I know have a weakness for sweets.  So when I have parties, I need to make something for dessert.  My repertoire is quite limited.  I can make kalakand, rava kesari, jamuns (this is my friend Soni’s specialty, but I can make a passable jamun), kheer, carrot halwa, and this ras malai. 



This is really not a recipe.  It is wonderful way to put store-bought ingredients together for a great  dessert :)  It tastes a lot better than the ras malai you get in the store (both canned and refrigerated varieties).

My friend Harini, introduced me to this shortcut.  She learned this from her sister.  I use it regularly when I have people over.  This recipe is so easy and only has four ingredients.  It uses store-bought rosogullas.  I used to boil and reduce the milk down to make the ras, but learned the other shortcut from another friend – evaporated milk! 

Here is what you need:

  • 2 cans of rosogullas (I use Haldirams – each can has 14)
  • 2 cans evaporated milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • few chopped pistachios

Here is how I made it - or rather - put it together:

  1. Drain all the syrup from the rosogullas. 
  2. Take each rosogulla in the palm of your hand and squeeze out as much of the syrup as you can.  Place these in a serving dish.
  3. In a sauce pan, combine the evaporated milk and the condensed milk.  Bring this to a boil.  Turn off the heat.
  4. Pour the milk mixture over the rosogullas.
  5. Top with chopped pistachios.

Serve chilled.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...