Saturday, October 19, 2013

Absolutely simple Aloo/ Urilaikizhangu/Potato curry

I always have potatoes in my house.  Neither my husband nor my sons will complain if I make potatoes.  Potatoes are my husband’s favorite.  If I am at a loss on what to make for dinner, he will immediately say – aloo curry panniden (why don’t you make aloo curry).

There are so many different variations even to the most basic potato recipe.  You can make it with or without onions, add other masalas, maybe add peas, cilanto, curry leaves, or garlic, and the taste changes subtly.  

My husband loves to make this and will offer to do so about once every couple of months.  He cooks well, but doesn’t do it often.  He can make very good sambar, dal, and potato curry.  He has also made rava dosa for a party (when I was away) and apparently got rave reviews.  I am still waiting for him to make it for me :)


Dry Potato Curry

Here is what you need:

(easily serves a family of four)

  • 8 – 10 medium sized potatoes, boiled, peeled, and cubed
  • 2 – 3 tsp. oil
  • ½ tsp. mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp. split urad dal
  • ¼ tsp. turmeric
  • salt to taste
  • 1 – 2 tsp. red chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)


Here is how I made it:


  1. Heat oil in a saucepan.  Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
  2. When the mustard seeds sputter, add the cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, salt, and chili powder. Mix well.
  3. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally till the potatoes are crispy on the outside.



Serve with rice and rasam or vatha kuzhambu for a delicious meal.  Can you see the steam rising from the potatoes?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...