Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tomato Pesto Cheese Sandwich – quick lunch for kids (or adults)

With the first day of school just around the corner, I must once again start thinking of what to pack for my son for lunch.  Even though our school district has started offering many healthy, vegetarian choices, he prefers to take food from home.  




I think I have mentioned before - he does not like to take anything that he has to sit down to eat, or anything that requires utensils.  So that leaves me very few choices.  He mostly takes bagels with cream cheese or this sandwich, and an occasional burrito. 




A friend of mine introduced me to this and I make it regularly.  My kids take this when they go skiing too.  On a recent ski vacation, we made these sandwiches and they were a big hit with both adults and kids alike.   It is really easy to make and tasted good even if it is cold.  This is very similar to the mozzarella tomato Panini sandwich that you get at Panera Bread, and is so easy to make that even your kids can make it themselves.


Here is what you need (for one sandwich)


  • 1 torta roll/ciabatta bread
  • pesto to spread  on the sandwich (I used store-bought)
  • 3 – 4 slices tomatoes
  • 2 slices gouda cheese




Slice the ciabatta bread.  Spread pesto on both halves.  Layer the cheese and tomato slices.  Put it in a panini press/tabletop grill and grill till the cheese melts.  You can toast this in a toaster oven too.  Serve with chips/veggies and fruit for a filling meal.

 Note:  You can add sprouts, lettuce and cucumbers also to this sandwich, but only after grilling.  I make these as open faced sandwiches in the toaster oven if I want to add these veggies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...