Saturday, July 26, 2014

Guacamole

I’ve only started making guacamole fairly recently.   My kids used to prefer tortilla chips with salsa.  Though my oldest would eat guac, my youngest would not even go near it.  He has since developed a taste for it and loves it so much that he helps me make it these days.  Sometimes, if we have avocados at home, he even asks for guacamole as an after school snack.  He is also my official guacamole taste tester.




I make guacamole fairly regularly now for parties and get-togethers.  It is such a simple and healthy appetizer to make, and is a big hit with both kids and adults.  Homemade guacamole tastes a lot better than the store bought version.  I think the reason is that it is fresh and also you can customize it to suit your taste.

The recipe below is enough to serve 2 people.  If I am making it for parties, I typically use 6 – 8 avocados (assuming that I have salsa also for the chips and some other appetizers)


 

 Here is what you need:


  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1 roma tomato
  • ½ medium onion, diced fine
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • sea salt, to taste
  • ½ tsp. cumin powder
  • ½ tsp. red chili powder
  • juice of 1 lime
  • chopped cilantro

Here is how I made it:


  1. Slice the avocado in half.  Gently squeeze the half with the seed so that it pops out.  Now score each avocado half so that you have diced the flesh into small chunks.  Scoop this out into a bowl.  Mash this with the bottom of the spoon.
  2. Cut the roma tomato in half.  Remove the inner pulp and seeds. You can use this in another dish or in soups.  Dice the tomato.  Add it to the bowl.
  3. Add onions, jalapenos, minced garlic, salt, cumin powder, and chili powder.  Mix well, mashing it some more. Taste and adjust spice level if necessary by adding more jalapenos or salt.
  4. Add lime juice and cilantro.  Mix well.

Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...