Monday, July 22, 2013

Mango Ice Cream (Mango Kulfi)


This was one of Ramesh’s specialties.  Ramesh is a good friend of ours and was our neighbor for a couple of years.  He has moved to India now, and every time we meet, we reminisce about our numerous get-togethers and all the food people would make.  He still jokes that the one thing he misses about Colorado is all the good food he used to get on the weekends.  

Mango Ice Cream (Kulfi)

Those were the good old days.  Most of our friends were bachelors/grad students. Our kids were really little and our weekends were not yet taken over by soccer games or karate tournaments.  We were actually able to enjoy our weekends with our friends – talking late into the night.

With one kid going away to college in the fall and one entering high school, I realize that before I know it, my weekends will soon be mine to do with as I please.  Wonder why that doesn’t cheer me up…

Anyway, getting back to the mango ice cream.  Ramesh had a standard menu that he would make for most of his parties.  He had perfected those dishes and loved to make them when he called us over.  He got the recipe for mango ice cream from some one he knew and was really thrilled to share it with me.  It is super easy to make and tastes great.


The original recipe calls for Cool Whip.  I used it blindly for many years before I started paying attention to the ingredients.  Now I use a product called TruWhip.  It seems to be a little bit better than the Cool Whip and claims to be 70% organic. I got it at my local organic grocery store.

Here is what you need (serves 20 easily):


  • 1 can mango pulp (from the Indian store)
  • 2 cans evaporated milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 2 tubs TruWhip Light or Cool Whip
  • ½ tsp cardamom seeds crushed
  • 4 – 5 Tbsp. chopped pistachios

Here is how I made it:


  1. Thaw the TruWhip/Cool Whip.  Save a few pistachios for garnish.
  2. Mix everything (except the pistachios for garnish) well and pour either into a big serving dish or individual serving pots.
  3. Freeze for at least 6 hours.
  4. Add pistachios on top and serve cold
Delicious Mango Kulfi is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...