Monday, August 20, 2018

Roasted Phool Makhana (fox nuts or lotus seeds) Snack

Makhana, also called fox nuts or lotus seeds, are popular in some regions of India and some other Asian cuisine. The most common use of the seed is in the form of lotus seed paste which is used extensively in Chinese pastries as well as in Japanese desserts.




Phool makhana is puffed lotus seed (seeds popped like popcorn).

I have seen phool makhana in my Indian store on several occasions. Growing up in Southern India, I was not familiar with this at all, and did not pay any attention to it.

Then, on my recent trip to California, I saw a bag of these in my friend’s pantry. She told me that she had tasted a snack made with these in her friend’s place. So, we tried replicating that in her house. It came out OK - not bad for a first attempt.

When I came back home, I picked up a bag of these from my Indian store. I have made these several times since then and love them!

It is a light, crunchy snack (kind of like popcorn) that takes almost no time to make and is healthy.

Roasted Phool Makhana (fox nuts or lotus seeds) Snack


Prep time: 5 minutes                 Cooking Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4


Here’s what you need:

  • 4 cups phool makhana (puffed lotus seeds)
  • 3 tsp. Oil
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp. Turmeric powder


Here’s how I made it:


  1. Dry roast the puffed lotus seeds in a thick bottomed deep saucepan, stirring constantly, on medium to low heat for about 15 minutes, till they are crunchy. Do not turn up the heat - the seeds will burn.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the oil, salt, turmeric powder, and chili powder.
  3. Pour this over the roasted lotus seeds. Toss to coat well.
  4. Once they cool down, store in an airtight container.

9 comments:

  1. I Know most of you won't aware about this thing but you can try this also Youtube thumbnail grabber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    Best snacks for morning and evening you can try, and the best part withy this snack is, its healthy as well, you must defiantly try this one if your are looking for healthy meal.
    Here you can search Best 10 meal delivery service UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is extremely radiant. I extremely like this post. It is outstanding amongst other posts that I’ve read in quite a while. Much obliged for this better than average post. I truly value it! places to eat in southall

    ReplyDelete
  5. great share love to try this recipe.. check out the best place to buy spices from kerala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blacknut Agrifood is a leading manufacturer of Makhana roaster machines in India, offering the high-quality Blacknut Agrifood. Designed for efficiency and precision, this machine ensures uniform roasting of Makhana, enhancing flavor and texture. With advanced technology and robust construction, it's the perfect solution for Makhana processing businesses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...