Sunday, May 29, 2016

Vegetarian Mexican rice

When my son comes back home after his semester ends, he normally asks me to make Indian food, hopefully involving paneer.

This time, when I asked him what he would like, he said, “can we have pizza or Mexican?  It has been ages since I had those”.  He was coming back from a semester abroad.  He had plenty of access to Indian food at my brother’s house, as well as Asian cuisine everywhere he went.

So it was pizza on the day he came back (I did have to make rasam, keerai, and aloo curry for my husband, who was flying back the same day from an office trip), and a Mexican fiesta that weekend, when we had some friends over to meet him.





I have already posted the recipe for tamales that I had made as part of that dinner.

This recipe for Mexican rice is simple to make and tastes great.  It is a great side to have for a build-your-own taco or burrito bar.

I think this is more a Tex-Mex version of rice than what people typically make at home in Mexico, but I love the flavors of this rice.

Here is what you need:


  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) organic diced tomatoes (you can use fresh juicy tomatoes instead) 
  • ½ large onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 - 3 tsp. oil
  • 1 – 2 jalapeno peppers diced (depending on how spicy you want it)
  • 2 – 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 cups long grain white rice
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder
  • salt to taste
  • 2 cups long-grain white rice 
 
 
 


Here is how I made it:


  1. Place the tomatoes and onions in a blender and puree till smooth.
  2. Heat oil in a pot.  Add the jalapenos and garlic. Fry for a few seconds, till the garlic turns slightly golden.
  3. Add washed and drained rice to this and sauté, stirring it frequently, till the rice is lightly toasted.
  4. Measure the tomato puree and supplement with vegetable stock so that you have about 4 cups of liquid.
  5. Add this to the rice along with salt and cumin powder.  Remember that the vegetable stock may have salt already in it. Bring it to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook until rice is done – about 20 minutes.
  7. Fluff it gently with a fork



Serve as part of a Mexican Fiesta



1 comment:

  1. This post is extremely radiant. I extremely like this post. It is outstanding amongst other posts that I’ve read in quite a while. Much obliged for this better than average post. I truly value it! south indian restaurants in southall

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...