Sunday, January 31, 2016

Spicy Vegetable Udon Noodles

I love Chinese food!  I used to love Chinese food in India – very different from the Chinese you get here in Colorado, and now I also love the Chinese food I get here.
We do a take out on most Fridays.  By the time Friday rolls around, I am exhausted.  Dealing with 140 thirteen and fourteen year olds everyday can do that to a person :) The farthest thing from my mind is what to make for dinner.  So we have fallen into a pattern of getting pizza, or Chinese, or Thai, or occasionally Mexican food for dinner.  





Since we get to eat Chinese food every couple of weeks, I don’t make it at home that often.  But while cleaning my pantry recently, I found a packet of Udon noodles and decided to make a spicy lo-mien with those.

Chinese food is really quick and easy to make.  If you are adding veggies (like I did), the only time consuming part is cutting the veggies.  Once you have all the ingredients ready, it takes about 8 minutes to make.







You can add as many veggies as you like.  I added peppers and broccoli.  You can also add mushrooms, green onions, zucchini, or carrots




Here is what you need


  • 1 package (12 0z.) udon noodles
  • 2 tsp. chili oil
  • 1 tsp. sesame or other cooking oil
  • 2 -3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 cups colored bell peppers, cut into strips
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • Bean sprouts
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • Chili garlic sauce to taste




Here is how I made it: 


  • Cook noodles according to package directions.
  • While the noodles are cooking, heat oil on high heat in a wok.
  • When the oil is hot, add the garlic, and let the edges get slightly brown.
  • Now add the peppers and broccoli. Toss and cook on high heat for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add the soy sauce.
  • Add the cooked noodles and mix well.  Cook on high heat for a couple of more minutes.  Add in the bean sprouts and chili garlic sauce.  Toss to coat well.



Turn off the heat and serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...