Saturday, July 25, 2015

Fresh masala powder to make even a simple Sambar taste incredible (Radha’s mother-in-law’s recipe)

When I first started this blog – has it been over two years already?, I had no clue about how to write recipes, how to take pictures, or how to present them.  Not that I have improved much in two years, but I have settled down to a style and rhythm that works for me.

In my earlier posts, I would include recipes inside other recipes instead of splitting them up.  So some of my basic recipes are lost inside others, making it really difficult for new visitors to find them.

To make these recipes easier to access, I am posting them again - separately, so that they are easier to find.

The first one, and the one I probably use the most is this sambar masala powder.  I make this almost every other week and use it not only in sambars, but also in my dry curries, kootu, or keerai recipes.





I make sambar like I normally would with any sambar powder (store bought works just as well as home made).

Once you have made the sambar (recipe here), add a couple of teaspoons of this powder and mix well.  Turn off the heat.

Your sambar will taste like araichuvitta sambar (recipe here)!

Ingredients for fresh sambar masala powder

Here is what you need:


  • 3 Tbsp. coriander seeds
  • 3 Tbsp. channa dal
  • ¼ tsp. methi seeds
  • 1 tsp. black pepper corns
  • 4 - 6 red chilies
  • 2 Tbsp. dry coconut (Optional - I add this if I have it at home, but most of the time I make this masala without the dry coconut)

 

 

  Here is how I made it

  1. Dry roast all the ingredients.  Let it cool.
  2. Powder and store in an airtight container.

Sambar, garnished with fresh masala powder


This powder is my friend Radha’s mother-in-law’s secret to awesome sambar.  She adds a little bit of this after the sambar is done.  It adds great flavor and aroma to the sambar.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...