Monday, May 25, 2015

Spicy Veggie Fried Rice

Chinese food in India is so different from the Chinese food in America, and I am sure neither tastes like Chinese food in China. 

I love Indo-Chinese - Gobi Manchurian, Vegetable Balls in Hot Garlic Sauce, Fried Rice, Sweet Corn Soup, Crispy Fried Veggies, American Chopsuey, Chinese Chopsuey – the list goes on and on.



When I moved to the U.S, it took a while to get used to the Chinese food here.  Now, I love it! We do a take out dinner almost every Friday and try to alternate between Chinese, Mexican and Italian or pizza.  Indian – we save for special occasions.  We have two favorite Chinese restaurants – both vegetarian friendly.  This means that they don’t use fish/oyster sauce if you let them know that you are vegetarian.

Since we get to eat Chinese once every two to three weeks, I don’t make it often at home.  My younger son, Aakash, doesn’t like Indo-Chinese food.  So making Gobi Manchurian or Vegetable Balls in Hot Garlic sauce just for my husband and myself is really not appealing.




One dish we always order for him, when we do a take out, is fried rice.  He loves fried rice.  So every once in a while, I make fried rice at home.  It tastes so good and is so easy to make, I wonder why I don’t make it more often!


Here’s what you need:


  • 2 – 3 tsp. Chili oil
  • 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1” piece ginger, slivered
  • 2 red chilies
  • 2 -3 spring onions, chopped (green part separated from the white part)
  • 2 - 3 cup mixed veggies chopped (I used carrots, beans, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, green peppers, and red peppers)
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • salt to taste
  • spicy chili garlic paste (I use Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam Chili Garlic Sauce)





Here is how I made it:


  1. Heat chili oil on high heat.  Add red chilies, ginger, and garlic.  Sauté till the chili turns dark.
  2. Add the white part of the green onions.  Continue adding veggies one at a time, mixing well.
  3. Cook on high heat for about five minutes.  Add the cooked rice and salt to taste.  Mix well.
  4. Let this cook for a few more minutes.  Turn off the heat. 
  5. Add chili sauce and green onions. Mix well.  Taste to adjust seasoning.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...