Saturday, April 11, 2015

Baby Potatoes dry curry

It has been ages since I made these.  On our recent trip to Oregon, my husband’s youngest cousin made these for us.  I was so thrilled to see the size of the potatoes.  They were similar to the baby potatoes we get in India. 
 


Gayatri made so much good food – including these delicious baby potatoes!  Siva, Gayatri’s husband, quickly figured out that my family loved potatoes, and raved so much about Gayatri’s recipe, that she had no choice but to make it for us.  Siva's praise was completely justified - they tasted great!
In Colorado, we get baby potatoes, but they are too big to make without cutting(at least in half).   So when I found the right size potatoes in Sprouts, I was really excited.  The potatoes I got came with their own spice mix, which I promptly discarded.



I made a very simple, dry potato curry that you can have with rasam and rice, or with rotis.


Here is what you need:

  • 20 – 25 baby potatoes, boiled and peeled
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • ½ tsp. mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
  • ¼ tsp. hing
  • few curry leaves
  • ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. coriander powder
  • salt to taste

 

 

Here is how I made it:

  1. Heat oil in a kadai.  Add mustard seeds.  When they start sputtering, add the jeera and hing.
  2. When the jeera changes color, add the curry leaves.
  3. Mix the turmeric powder, chili powder, and coriander powder with a little bit of water (about ½ cup).
  4. Pour this carefully into the pan.  Mix it well. Let this cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
  5. Add the potatoes to the pan.  Toss to coat all the potatoes well wit the masala.
  6. Cook uncovered on medium-low heat tossing occasionally.
  7. Once the potatoes look happy and well done, turn off the heat.



Serve with rice and rasam or with rotis.  To make it a complete meal, end with a little bit of thayir sadam (yogurt rice).

Note:  My husband saw me writing this post and has decided to make it for dinner tonight :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...