Saturday, March 28, 2015

Aloo Gobi - dry

“What’s for dinner?”  Some days, I just wish I didn’t have to hear those words.  Coming up with something different to make every night is really tough.  Especially if you haven’t had time to go grocery shopping.

The last couple of weeks I have had parent teacher conferences on Thursdays and so haven’t been able to make it to my Indian store on the day they get vegetables.  I have been improvising by making soups, pasta, chole, pulavs etc.  I also had idli and dosa batter so that we could just make sambar and have that for dinner one night.



I always have potatoes on hand.  If you have read any of my previous posts, you will know that my family loves potatoes.  I also had some cauliflower left - and not much else.  Since both my husband and son love aloo gobi, it meant that I did not have to make two different things for dinner!

I make this a few different ways – sometimes dry and sometimes with a bit of gravy – depending on my mood.  Since I had ghugni, I decided to make this dry.


 

Here is what you need:


  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1” piece ginger, slivered
  • ½ large onion, diced
  • 3 - 4 green chilies, slit lengthwise
  • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • ½ tsp. turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp. red chili powder
  • 1 tsp. coriander powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. amchur powder (dried mango powder)
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 tsp. kasoori methi
  • some chopped cilantro for garnish
 


Here is how I made it:


  1. Heat oil in a pan.  Add cumin seeds.
  2. When the cumin seeds change color, add garlic and ginger. Sauté for about 30 seconds.  Now add the onions.
  3. When the onions turn translucent add the green chilies, tomatoes, and salt.  Mix well.
  4. When the tomatoes get mushy, take a small bowl with a little bit of water, add all the spices (turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and amchur powder).  Mix well and pour this into the pan.
  5. Fry this on medium heat till the spices are well blended and the masala smells great.
  6. Add the diced potatoes. Cover and cook for 5 – 7 minutes.
  7. Add the cauliflower.  Mix well.  Cover and cook for a few more minutes – maybe another 10 minutes so that the cauliflower and potatoes are cooked but still firm.
  8. Take the kasoori methi in the palm of your hand and crush it over the pan.  Mix well.
  9. Garnish with chopped cilantro.



Serve with rotis.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...