Monday, May 12, 2014

Fresh Garbanzo Beans Salad

I have used garbanzo beans/ kabuli channa/ channa/chole forever.  I just never ever thougt about where it came from.  I had also never seen fresh garbanzo beans until a few years ago.  My Indian store carries it occasionally and the first time I bought it and tried it out, I loved it!


The beans are so fresh and tasty that it seemed criminal to smother it with too many masalas and competing flavors.  I only make this as a salad so that the flavor of the beans is not lost.  I love opening the pods to find the beans inside - kind of therapeutic, to shell garbanzo bean pods on a weekend afternoon. 


 

Here is what you need:


  • 2 cups fresh garbanzo beans (after shelling)
  • ½ cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 roma tomato, chopped
  • 2 green chilies, minced
  • ½ tsp. red chili powder
  • ½ tsp. coriander powder
  • ½ tsp. cumin powder
  • salt to taste
  • juice of 1 lime
  • cilantro for garnish




Here is how I made it:


  1. Put the fresh garbanzo beans in a pot with water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 - 8 minutes till the beans are cooked.
  2. Drain these and place in a bowl.
  3. Mix the remaining ingredients with the beans.

Serve as a salad or a snack, with some sev sprinkled on top.


1 comment:

  1. I visited this blog very first time and found really informative.
    To get information on where to buy garbanzo beans visit here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...