Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sprouted Green Peas Masala

It is pantry-cleaning time.  My pantry is like Aladdin’s cave - I never know what I am going to find in it! Obviously, if it is in my pantry, I am the one who put it in there, but I just have no recollection of how some of the things I have got in.




Anyway, while looking for something I was sure I had, I found this bag of dried green peas.  I probably bought it during Navrathri, when we are supposed to make different kinds of sundal each day, and promptly forgot about it.

Tired of making chole and rajma, I decided to sprout the green peas and make a masala that we could have with either jeera rice or rotis.  It sprouted really well and the dish itself was a hit.


 

Here is what you need:

 

  • 1 cup dried green peas, soaked overnight (you can sprout these for a couple of days if you like, but it is not necessary)
  • salt to taste
  • ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
  • pinch of hing (asafetida)
  • 3 tsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 green chilies, slit
  • 2 – 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1” piece ginger, slivered
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 tsp. coriander powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. red chili powder
  • small bunch of cilantro, chopped



For garnish:
  • ¼ medium onion slivered
  • 2 green chilies, sliced
  • few sprigs of cilantro
  • freshly roasted and powdered cumin

Here is how I made it:


  1. Put the peas, salt, turmeric, and hing with enough water in a pressure cooker.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat after the first whistle/sound.
  2. Heat oil in a deep pan. Add jeera.
  3. When the jeera changes color, add the onions, green chilies, ginger, and garlic.
  4. Sauté on medium heat till they look well blended and start changing color.
  5. Now add the tomatoes and all the dry spices and fry for a few minutes, being careful not to let the spices burn.
  6. Cover and cook for a few minutes till the tomatoes are mushy.
  7. Add the cooked peas.  Add more water and salt if necessary. Let this simmer for fifteen minutes. Mix in the chopped cilantro.
  8. Turn off the stove.


To serve:

Put the peas in a bowl and top with chopped onions, green chilies, and cilantro.  Sprinkle some freshly ground cumin on top.

Serve with jeera rice and rotis.  You can also eat it just like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...