Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ghugni (with sprouted yellow peas)


I love this simple dish made with sprouted yellow peas.  This is a dish influenced by my husband’s childhood in Kolkata.  Having no exposure to Bengali cuisine growing up, my attempt at Bengali cuisine is based on my husband’s description of the flavors.  In 1994, there was no widespread use of internet and no food blogs I could go to for recipes.  I learned by making variations of the same dish, modifying spices each time till my husband approved.

Ghugni (with yellow peas)

I have seen people using yellow or green peas and sometimes, even garbanzo for this.  I make it with yellow peas.  This is very similar to the ragada that I make for ragada pattice.

My oldest son, at one point, would eat boiled yellow peas with spinach everyday because he read somewhere that these were a great source of protein for a vegetarian diet. 

Here is what you need:


  • 1 cup yellow peas, soaked overnight (you can sprout these for a couple of days if you like - I did, but it is not necessary)
  • salt to taste
  • ¼ tsp. turmeric
  • ¼ tsp. hing (asafetida)
  • 2 tsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
  • 1 medium sized onion, chopped
  • 2 green chilies, slit
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1” piece ginger, slivered
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. coriander powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. amchur (dried mango) powder
  • salt to taste
  
For garnish:

  • ¼ medium onion slivered
  • 2 green chilies, cut into circles
  • few sprigs, cilantro
  • lemon wedges
  • chaat masala for sprinkling (to add more flavor - skip if you don't have any)

Here is how I made it:


  1. Put the yellow peas, salt, turmeric, and hing with enough water in a pressure cooker.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat after the first whistle/sound.
  2. In a pan, heat oil. Add jeera.
  3. When the jeera changes color, add the onions, green chilies, ginger, and garlic.
  4. Saute on medium heat till they look well blended and start changing color.
  5. Now add all the dry spices and fry for a few minutes, being careful not to let the spices burn.
  6. Add the cooked peas.  Add more water and salt if necessary.  Let this simmer for fifteen minutes.
  7. Turn off the stove.
To serve:

Put the ghugni in a bowl and top with chopped onions, green chilies, a little bit of lemon juice, and cilantro.  Sprinkle some chaat masala on top. 



This can be eaten with rotis, rice, or just like that.

I am sending this simple, but tasty Ghugni to  the "My Legume Love Affair" event hosted by Siri of Cooking with Siri. The MLLA's 62st edition happening this month was originally conceptualized by Susan and is being managed by Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...