Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Oats Upma


Oats Upma


You know how when you see blueberry muffins – you just can’t resist and need to have a taste?  Looking at the glazed or powdered donut has you salivating?  The idea of fruit flavored yogurt or frosted cereal is what you look forward to at breakfast?

Well, then you and I are a different species.   I am a bit finicky about breakfast (I can see my husband rolling his eyes).  Lots of people I know eat sweet dishes for breakfast and seem to actually crave it – things like cereal, flavored oatmeal, yogurt with berries, granola, pancakes, muffins, donuts, french toast … the list goes on and on.  I need something savory.   I cannot imagine starting the day off with some thing sweet. 

I grew up eating idlis, dosas, upma, bread, omlettes etc. for breakfast.  On special occasions we would probably have pooris with potatoes.  After moving to the U.S, I gave up on having breakfast for the longest time, mainly because anything I felt like eating, took a little more effort to make.   Sometimes, when I made pancakes or waffles for my kids, I would add geen chilis or Tabasco to the left over batter and have that for breakfast.  Not the healthiest breakfast - I know, but it was quick and easy and I did not have to throw away the left over batter. 

Now, my kids are a bit more independent.  My older son takes his younger brother to school and I actually have some time in the morning, to indulge in breakfast.

Here is one of my quick fixes for breakfast that I think it is actually healthy and filling

What you need:


  • 1 tsp. oil
  • ½ tsp. mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp. channa dal
  • ½ cup chopped onions
  • 1 green chili, minced
  • few curry leaves
  • ½ cup sprouted moong
  • 1 cup water
  • salt to taste
  • 1/3 cup steel cut oats

To make the upma:




  1. Heat oil in a kadai or small wok shaped pan
  2. Add mustard seeds and channa dal
  3. When the mustard seeds sputter, add the onions, green chilies, and curry leaves
  4. Saute for a couple of minutes.
  5. Add sprouts, water, and salt and bring it to a boil.
  6. Reduce the heat and add the oats.  Give it a swirl.
  7. Cover and cook on low flame till all the water is absorbed.

Enjoy the yummy upma with a cup of hot coffee or chai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...