Saturday, April 12, 2014

Kuzhi Paniyaram with left over idli batter

I posted a recipe for sooji kuzhipaniyarams a while ago.  This was such a big hit, in my house, as well as with my friends.  These are so simple to make and use very little oil compared to the traditional deep fried appetizers, that people loved them.

Once I posted the recipe for this on my blog, my friend, Shabana, told me that she had seen these at Grand Sweets and Snacks, but that their version uses a ton of oil.  She couldn’t believe how simple and healthy, these were to make and wanted to try them out – so I sent her a pan.




She has made these several times since then.  Once, when I spoke to her, she told me that instead of sooji, she made it with left over idli batter, and those came out well too.  I had to tell her though that this is how people make it normally – with left over idli batter.  The sooji is the variation! She was mighty thrilled to have stumbled upon the original version, without realizing that this was the original version :)

Since, after making my uthappams, I still had some batter left over, I decided to make these last weekend for breakfast.


 

Here is what you need:

(adjust quantities based on the amount of batter you have left)

  • 2 cups left over idli/dosa batter
  • 2 tsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp. channa dal
  • ¼ tsp. hing
  • 2 – 3 green chilies, chopped
  • few curry leaves
  • ½ medium onion, diced fine
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • chopped cilantro
  • little bit of salt (remember the idli batter already has salt in it)
  • oil for making the kuzhi paniyarams

 

Here is how I made it:


  1. Heat oil in a small pan.  Add mustard seeds, channa dal, and hing.
  2. When the mustard seeds sputter, turn off the heat and pour this into the idli/dosa batter.  Mix well.
  3. Mix in the green chilies, curry leaves, onions, carrots, cilantro and salt.
  4. Heat the appam pan (also called aebleskiver pans).
  5. Add a few drops of oil in each hole (kuzhi)
  6. When the pan is hot, add a tablespoonful of batter into each hole. The batter should fill about ¾ of each hole.
  7. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
  8. With a butter knife or skewer, flip the balls over.
  9. Cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, till both sides are crispy.
  10. Remove the paniyarams from the pan.
  11. Repeat until all the batter is done.




Serve hot with spicy chutney.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...